I’ve been on a homemade pizza kick lately. I don’t know what it is, but smelling pizza baking is akin to smelling chocolate chip cookies baking. It’s okay, I know what you’re thinking and I know I’m strange. Moving on.
I knew I wanted some kind of chicken pizza, because I’m trying to use less red meat in an effort to eat a little healthier, and unfortunately, pepperoni counts as red meat (shocker!), so chicken it is. I was tired of BBQ chicken pizza (with red onion slices and some ranch dressing drizzled on top — mmm!), so I tried to find something a little.. different. And definitely not traditional.
My inspiration: Gourmet White Chicken Pizza from Meet Penny. But I’ve had very little success getting Ryan to eat a “white” pizza (i.e. no sauce) that’s not white spinach-and-onion pizza. So I changed things up a little.
Instead of no sauce, I used some homemade red sauce (recipe here). And instead of homemade pizza dough, I used a refrigerated par-baked crust because I had it already. That’s it! See, I told you I only changed things up a little!
Mediterranean Chicken Pizza
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 8 min
- Pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. marinara sauce (you can use store-bought, I won’t judge!)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 pound cooked chicken, sliced thinly or diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts (I used half of a 14 oz can, but they come in 6 oz jars that would work well)
- 1 small can sliced black olives (2.25 oz)
- 8 oz feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees if using a pre-made pizza crust, or 500 degrees if you’re using raw pizza dough.
- If you’re using raw pizza dough, you’ll need to pre-bake your pizza a little bit. I like to spread some olive oil and minced garlic over the crust and bake in a 500 degree oven for about 5 minutes, or until the crust just starts to brown. Then remove it from the oven, drop the oven temp down to 450 degrees, and proceed with Step 2.
- If you’re starting with a pre-made pizza crust, simply spread 1/4 cup of marinara sauce all over the top. If you like an extra-saucy pizza, add up to 1/4 cup more sauce. I liked this particular pizza with less sauce. Sprinkle with pepper and oregano for extra flavor. Top evenly with chicken, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, and olives. Then, sprinkle with feta.
- Bake (450 degrees) for 5-7 minutes or until the dough starts to brown. Everything on your pizza is pre-cooked so you don’t need to bake for an extended time here. Whenever it looks yummy through that oven window, take it out! The cheese won’t melt fully unless it’s baked at least 12 minutes or so, but I find that the pre-made crusts sometimes get burnt to a crisp before the feta cheese is able to fully melt. It’s delicious just the same. (By the way: if you started with raw dough, bake for 15-20 minutes until dough is cooked through and the cheese has melted.)